Services for Individuals with Disabilities
What VR Programs are offered?
Vocational Rehabilitation’s primary goal is employment. Vocational Rehabilitation provides individualized vocational guidance and counseling as well as other services to assist people with disabilities to make informed choices concerning their careers so that they can become successfully employed.
Overview and Referral
Vocational Rehabilitation is appropriate for you if…
- You want to work
- You have a disability that makes it hard for you to get or continue work
- You want to become employed to the best of your ability
- You require specific services to become employed
- You are willing to follow through and be responsible for your own progress toward employment
Vocational Rehabilitation is NOT appropriate for you if…
- You do not want to work
- You do not have a disability
- You want VR to help document a disability for purposes of obtaining benefits
- You are required to come to IDVR by someone else and do not want to be here
How can I learn more about VR?
You may complete a referral form and return to a VR office near you. A VR representative will contact you within three business days of receipt.
How Do I Apply?
Applying for VR services requires a series of steps:
- The applicant provides information to VR staff during an intake interview. Information requested by IDVR is necessary to begin the eligibility assessment process.
- The applicant agrees that he or she is available to complete the assessment process required to determine eligibility for VR services.
- At the intake interview, the applicant provides a signed and dated application signature sheet to IDVR or makes an alternative request for application to IDVR.
If you would like to begin the application process, you may contact the VR office nearest you to schedule an appointment. Please consider completing the VR intake form (formulario de ingesta en Español)and provide it to your local VR office at the time of your intake appointment, in order to help progress your application process within a reasonable amount of time.
Any individual who has a physical or mental impairment (disability) which results in a substantial impediment (barrier) to employment and requires IDVR services to prepare for, secure, retain, or regain employment and can benefit in terms of an employment outcome.
SSI or SSDI recipients who intend to achieve an employment outcome.
If I’m Eligible, then What?
You and your VR Counselor will discuss your abilities, limitations, interests, needs, transferable and other special work skills, and employment alternatives.
- Aptitude or other tests may be secured, if necessary.
- Together, you and your VR Counselor may choose an employment goal and develop an Individualized Plan for Employment (IPE) to meet your goal.
- You will be expected to complete the IPE and go to work.
The Vocational Rehabilitation Program is personalized in its approach – we provide you with individualized services required for you to gain employment.